Re: What's going on here?

  > Fair enough.  I wonder that myself -- but take it as an example.  Another
  > example might be learning the names for subtle color differences: taupe
  >  and tan, cream and eggshell.

  Yeah, I gave the Welsh colour word 'glas' as an example a couple of
  letters ago, I believe. The boundaries of different colours can be
  EXTREMELY subjective, language for language.

  >  Someone who knows the names might be a
  > better judge of color than someone who doesn't, although it would be very
  > hard to say whether the chicken or the egg came first.

  That's what I think. Learning to use a word PROPERLY will by
  definition train you in the distinctions necessary to use that word.
  Nevertheless, you can make that distinction in principle whether there is
  a handy word for it or not in your language, I think.

I expect that this is true for colors.  Another example about which I know
more is feeling words (such as freightened, happy, etc.).

Research shows that young children with greater feeling word vocabularies are
more likely to express themselves verbally (which is more clear and
satisfying than physically).  Furthermore, possession of an extensive feeling
word vocabulary seems to increase their appreciation of the range of feelings
possible.  I have heard 2 year olds discussing being frustrated, furious,
excited, pleased, etc.  rather than the standard of only happy, mad, and sad
which many learn.

co'o. karis.