Re: Problems with Abstraction

John:
> la .and. cusku di'e
>
> [much correct Lojbanery snipped]
>
> > It's like "All that
> > glitters is not gold", which is fine for many many English
> > speakers though not for me (I wd have to say "Not all that
> > glitters is gold").
>
> Really?  I'm, as Colin Fine says, gobsmacked.  There are
> people who can say "All that flows is not water", outside
> poetry?

Definitely. I hear it quite often & it causes a double-take.
I've also heard this observation from James Higginbotham, the
formal semanticist.

Indeed, I'm surprised that you're surprised: I thought that
it was the widespread existence of "All that flows is not
water" speakers, filtered via Horn's book, that was in large
part responsible for the analogous Lojban rule.

--And