Re: ni, jei, perfectionism

>As to scanning 10 pages of text, I have instead scanned the
>text by you preceded in this message by a single >.
>
>I found 3 "indirect questions", one a NP and two subordinate
>interrogatives

Non fictional text, especially of a scholarly subject, would seem likely to
have indirect questions.  Most Lojban text is fiction, and narrative fiction
seems less likely to have such constructions.  It is plausible that narrative
fiction that descrines mental states would have indirect clauses ("she
considered what to do next"), but I don't think much of that is included in
the Lojban text so far.

>Is the English text of Saki available online? I'd be willing to
>take a look.

I thought it was, along with the Lojban, but do not see it in the ftp
directory.  I am sure that this sort of thing is available in Project
Guterbeurg via the Web, along with various other literary texts.

>If you happen to have any samples of the parody of logic-talk,
>I wouldn't mind seeing them, since I myself feel Lojban might be
>the better for a bit more of that sort of thing.

I'll try to find some, but will send it to you privately, since I don't want
to be accused of copyright violation %^(.  Somewhere I have what I consider
to be the most egregious piece of pseudo-logic already typed up.  I'll see
if i can find it.  It was entertaining because JCB specifically commented
about how well it was expressed, if I recall.

>I haven't really bothered studying the loglan texts closely. I
>don't know enough of the cmavo,

Most all of them have direct Lojban replacements, usually on a one-for-one
basis, with essentially identical grammar.

>I would like to listen in on those behind the scenes logic
>discussions, though.

For a while Randall Holmes who is one of the chief logicians for JCB was
subscribed to Lojban List and engaged us in sich discussion.  The insider
discussion however seems reserved for a private list which JCB screens
personally to make sure that no LLG spies participate.

lojbab
----