Re: xor questions (was Re: indirect Qs (was Re: On logji lo

Feel free to quote Book at me, but so far as I am concerned
lu'a lu'i = lu'a.  You do not need to convert first one way and then the other.
>Lojbab:
>>But you need not express it in standard notation. Lojban can express the
>>indicated sentence using
>>ro lu'i lo tcati .onai lo ckafi
>
>You must mean {ro lu'a lu'i lo tcati onai lo ckafi}, but that's not what And
>meant by "each of {tea xor coffee}".

The outer quantifier ofa lu'a indicates selection, so ro means all/each of
the set.  That set consists of either tea or coffee, but not both.  I am
suugesting that such a set has only one member, and I am asking you to tell me
 which one.

I did not give the full sentence (being short of time and thought, but wanting
to get the idea of using lu'a out there).  On way might be
vasru ma po'u lu'a lo tcati onai lo ckafi
There are probably a variety of other formulas that would work.  I am
claiming the exclusive or (or maybe I need no'u to do so) and also asking
what the contents are.

z>Here you want {ma po'u pa lu'a lo tcati ce lo ckafi}. If you
>--More--
>use {lu'i} then you get the set whose only element is the set
>{tea; coffee}, since {ce} by itself already defines a set.
>
>But this is just like And's original form. {lo glare} or
>{lo selpinxe} work as unhelpful answers to that question.

if the issue is how to force someone who wants to be unhelpful into being
helpful, then Lojban will not necessarily do so succintly.  I would still
try something like

ma no'u pa lu'a lo tcati ce lo ckafi lu'u noi ke'apo'o cu selvasru
(I haven't checked the grammar on this for scope of the relative clause).

lojbab