Re: TECH: more on morphology problem - some opionions

The problem with standardizing morphological variants when borrowing, is that it
presumes that the borrower actuially KNOWS the language from which the
borrowing is taking place.  You know Latin; I don't.  If I were to want to
do a borrowing, I could look it up in a few dictionaries, see that a Latinate
word is used in all of them, and then use Spanish (or less likely French) as
the basis for the borrowing and be reasonably close.  I can't do that with
more rigid rules.

We don;t want to make it too difficult for people to add words to the
language, especially lea'vla, which we are going to great lengths to make
especially easy to do ad hoc.

Maybe when we go to make type IV le'avla, some rule like you propose can be
considered.  But the idiosyncracies of Type IV le'avla making mean that it
is less likely that you will be able to make such a rule stick in practice

lojbab