Re: Qs: VhVhV & PAPAMEI &c.

la .and. cusku di'e

> (1) In trisyllabic cmavo, e.g. {laaa}, {la'a'a}, is the stress
> {laAa} or {lAaa}? Or can it be either?

Stress within cmavo is free.

> (2) Is {re re mei} a suivla meaning "two pairs", or is it a sentence
> meaning "there is a twenty-two-some"?

The latter.

> Either way, what does one add
> to get the right bracketing? {re boi re mei}?

Yes.

> (3) Given that (i-ii) are synonymous ("Not every person's a man")
>
> i.    na nanmu fa ro prenu
> ii.   ro prenu cu na nanmu
>
>       ["Every person is not a man" = {ro prenu na ku nanmu}]
>
> I'd have thought iii-iv shd also be synonymous
>
> iii.  koa ba klama pu ku
> iv.   pu ku koa ba klama
>
> But according to the tense paper iii-iv differ. Is there a
> rationale to this?

The desire to have "puku" not a mere synonym for "pu zo'e", but rather a
semantic equivalent of a selbri tcita that can float around the bridi.

> (4) Can anyone remind me what the technical name is for the
> constituent that complements LE (e.g. the bracketed constituent
> in {le [speni be la lojbab]})?

A "sumti-tail" according to the grammar, although the term is rarely
used (jimc calls it an "S-bridi" if I remember correctly).

> (5a) What do VI, ZI, VEHA & ZEHA used as sumtcita mean?

As of now (nobody having proposed a formal change AFAIK), VI and ZI
indicate the reference point from which the bridi-event is said to be
so-and-so-much distanct in space or time respectively; VEhA and ZEhA
haven't been prescribed.

> (5b) What was the upshot of the discussion of a while ago about
> how to specify exact extents for VI, ZI, VEHA & ZEHA?

Beats me.

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.