Re: sei

Lojbab, discussing the meaning of {le voksa cu cusku sei krefu sei krefu}:
>> or perhaps
>> The voice said (I say again) (And AGAIN).

Jorge replies:
>This is similar to what John said, but I still don't understand
>how {krefu}, which means "event x1 is a repetition of event x2"
>can be closer to "I say again" than to "happens repeatedly".
>Where is the "I" coming from, and why is {krefu} suddenly being
>used as "repeat" in the sense of "say again"? Isn't that very
>malglico?

The "I" comes from the presumption that attitudinals deal with the speaker's
attitude towards the subject matter.  For example, {vofli .ui} means that
the speaker is pleased about something flying, not that it's a happy kind of
flying.
It's more like {vofli co se gleki mi} than {gleki vofli}.  Similarly, then,
{cusku sei krefu} should be more like {cusku co se krefu mi} than {krefu cusku}.

If you want it to refer to something other than the speaker, you should fill
in the x1 with something else to override the {mi} default.  e.g. {le nanmu
cu klama le zarci sei la noras. cusku}

                     ____
 Chris Bogart        \  /  http://www.quetzal.com
 Boulder, CO          \/   cbogart@quetzal.com