Re: multiple ce`u (was: Re: whether (was Re: ni, jei,

Jorge:
> >So although omitted sumti leave the intended bridi underspecified,
> >the limits of range of possible interpretations are quite firmly
> >constrained.
> >
> >But within a ka abstraction this doesn't apply, as every omitted
> >sumti could be a ce`u.
>
> But is that ever a problem?

Yes. Not so much in the cases you mention, but even there the
problkem exists in principle.

> In general, the selbri determines what
> is the number of ce'u that makes sense. Mostly it is only one ce'u,
> as in the x2 of ckaji, or the x3 of frica, zmadu, etc. Anything with more
> than one ce'u there would be uninterpretable,

Yes.

> or it should be interpreted
> as a collapse of the places into one as in:
>
>             la alis cu ckaji le ka ce'u prami ce'u
>             Alice has the property of loving herself.

That's a really bad idea. This means the relationship of
lover & lovee. NOT the property of loving oneself. To say
that, you need an anaphor instead of the second ce`u.

> I can't interpret that as a two-argument property.

You should. You should then find the result nonsensical.
You should not decide that the sentence is sensical and then
pervert the import of double ce`u to make it so.

> I still can't figure out what it means to approve of a property.
> Is it like approving of there being holders of the property?
> Does {mi zanru le ka ce'u melbi} mean that I'm not opposed
> to there being beautiful things? No, but that would be {mi zanru
> le nu da melbi}. What exactly does {mi zanru le ka melbi} mean?

I don't know. You're glad that it "exists". Of course that
implies that in principle you can conceive of it not existing,
which is why it's so hard to imagine approving of the number 7.
Since the "existence" of a property is not contingent on
properties of worlds, I think the relevant criterion would
be existence in our inventory of concepts.

--And