Re: djuno and ce'u

la lojbab. cusku di'e

> > There is nothing about the nature of Lojban that requires x2 of djuno to
> > be a true proposition.
> > There seems to be something about your
> > interpretation of djuno (or maybe even the English "know") that presumes
> > that something known is "true".

la .and. cusku di'e

> That's right. That's what "know" means. And both usage and the
> baselined gismyste show that "djuno" means "know".

And is basically correct, except that in Lojban, truth (and as a result
knowledge as well) is relative to a so-called "epistemology", which
in this case would better be called a "metaphysics".  This
allows sentences like "Ptolemy knew that the orbits of the
heavenly bodies are circular, by the metaphysics of Aristotle."

> I don't see how you are trying to make your point. By using
> scarequotes you are implicitly attributing the belief in the
> truth of the knowee to the knower rather than yourself.
>
> If you tell me that you find
>
>   He knows that Christ was born on Christmas Day and she knows that
>   Christ was born on Christmas day.
>
> acceptable, then I will not believe you.

Nor I.

> > I am not sure what you mean.  We have "krici" for believe, which is
> > identical in the first 3 places to djuno, but requires no
> > epistemological place, because no epistemologically based evidence is
> > required for belief.
>
> It may be that no epistemologically based evidence is required for
> {krici}. But it is required for belief.

In Lojban, "believe" is split between "krici", which requires no
evidence, and "jinvi", which does.  "krici" is closer to "have
faith that".

			e'osai ko sarji la lojban