Re: knowledge and belief

>As for Lojban, I would say that:
>
>    la platon djuno le du'u la sokrates djuno
>                  le du'u la djan klama le zarci kei fo da
>    "Plato knows that Socrates knows (by epist. x)
>                   that John goes to the market."
>
>must entail that:
>
>    la platon djuno le du'u la djan klama le zarci kei fo da
>    "Plato knows (by epist. x) that John goes to the market."

and I disagree.  If "da" is "Socrates observed the event" then that would
presumably serve as sufficient epistemological grounds fro Socrates to say
he knows John went.  But Plato did not observe the event, and might not
consider Socrates' observation a sufficient epistemology for himself.  If
he does, then his epistemology is more likely to be the authority of
Socrates.

Lojban does not presume that all peopl accept the same epistemoilogies as a
basis for knowledge.  Indeed, we even have a epistemological marker for
"I know culturally".  If someone from a culture I know little about says
that they know something culturally, then I can state that X djuno Y fo loi
Z kulnu.  But since I don't know that culture, it is not the case that
I can claim such knowledge for myself.

lojbab
----